Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving came early

We celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday, Saturday 11/22, because I am working on "actual" Thanksgiving this year. Present were 4 Ciompis, my mother-in-law, Laura's boyfriend Darwin, and two good friends, Dean & Kay Michaels. Menu:
--appetizer: fig & goat cheese crostini (from Kay), with champagne
--first course: pumpkin & apple soup, served in pumpkin tureen
--main course: roast turkey, brined in citrus & apple juices; pomegranate stuffing; minimally creamed spinach; mashed potatoes; blackened string beans; cranberry sauce
--dessert: apple/pear individual tartlets, with brandy-laced mascarpone cream
Arturo of course opened wonderful wines--two kinds of beaujolais, and then some lovely port to go with the coffee.
I did a lot of work the day before, so for once I didn't feel so rushed on the actual feast day. Everyone behaved, although I had to reprimand Laura & Darwin for playing games on his iPhone when they thought nobody was looking.
Adriana didn't look good to me. She seemed somewhat un-groomed, which is unusual for her; she also had noticeable periods where she zoned out, which is also atypical. Generally when she has a new audience (in this case, Dean & Kay) she just talks and talks. Arturo says she's been having some respiratory issues. I say, so why do you keep bringing her cigarettes? But then again, she's 87, I suppose she's entitled to her vice.
***********************************************
Today I went to a baby shower for the first time in many, many years. One of my co-workers is expecting her second child, a boy, in about 2 weeks. It was nice to see everyone in "party clothes"! It's a shock sometimes to see people's hair, since of course in the OR it's always covered. Leisa got some cute little outfits, and a stroller, and some gift cards. I made her a baby afghan, plus burned a CD of lullabyes. It was mildly shocking for me to realize I was probably the oldest person in the room, though. How on earth did this happen?

TTFN, sports fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment