Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Catching up

It's been a while since I've posted, but this is a new venture for me and I still need to form good habits about remembering. Anyway, here's what's new:

Worked yesterday (Veteran's Day). Good news: 12 hours of holiday pay! Bad news: we were REALLY busy. Don't all those surgeons and patients out there realize that one is supposed to stay home and relax on holidays?
************************************
Sunday the 9th was our neighborhood's annual Art Walk. There were 5 people exhibiting at our house, including me and Diana. Diana's hand beaded jewelry was really beautiful and she displayed it so nicely. I sold a lot of scarves, a few notecards, and 4 of my CD's! Both of us made a tidy profit for the day. There were probably 200-300 folks who came through the house. The weather couldn't have been better and everyone was in a lighthearted mood. Totally enjoyable.
***********************
We awoke this morning at 8AM to the soothing sound of jackhammers on the front porch. The long-postponed renovations have started! The worst of the noise should be done by this afternoon and with any luck (i.e., if the weather holds) we will have a new, level, unchipped front porch, and front steps that are no longer the deadliest in the neighborhood. We're also getting a new front storm door to replace the one that has been broken for the past two years. Old houses always need some kind of work but the good thing about them is that usually it's not imperative.....I always think to myself, well, the [insert name of problem here] has existed for [insert number] years and the house is still standing, so getting a repair done RIGHT NOW isn't an issue.
***********************
Went to see "W", the Oliver Stone film about our outgoing president, on Monday night. I thought it was somewhat unfocused, as if they couldn't decide if it was going to be a parody, or a comedy, or a drama, or a tragedy. The screenplay kept changing viewpoints. But the characterizations were spot on, especially James Cromwell as "Poppy" George Bush Sr. I think between the election and this movie, I've had my fill of politics for the next little bit.
************************
Well, that's all the news that's fit to print for now. Write back, fans!
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment