Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Time Marches On

Well, my "sinful" dress arrived in the mail yesterday, all $550 of it. Here's what happened. I have to say the packaging was very impressive.....I guess this is how very upscale stores treat their customers. Lovingly packed in a silver box with a bow, and a handwritten thank you note included. Then I changed all my undergarments, put up my hair, and tried it on. Then I looked in the mirror. Then I showed Arturo, who was very understanding about how I really needed to make this little experiment. Then I went back upstairs, changed into my jeans, and (equally lovingly) re-packed the dress into its silver gilt box with a bow.

A lesson learned: you can't turn back the clock. As much as I'd like to think I could wear a dress like that, I can't. Even though I've lost beaucoups of weight and gotten toned, I'm not a size 2, I'm not 25 years old, and I'm just not anything enough to pull it off. Knits are meant to hug curves, which I've got, but they also hug bumps and other imperfections, which I've also got. Also, realistically, I have no place to wear such a creation--just don't lead that kind of life. It's a high maintenance dress for a high maintenance woman with a high maintenance lifestyle, none of which describes me or my resources. So, back to Nordstrom it will go, and it will cost me $10 shipping fee to learn what I really should have known already.

In another reinforcement of the "time marches on" theme, I'm still sick. I've missed two days of work this week--really unusual for me--and I'm still coughing and achy and low energy. I used to shake this stuff in a couple of days; this has already lasted a week. What a bother, and so depressing. I just put out the garbage and the recycling and I feel like I have to rest for an hour.

When I feel better, there are a number of movies on my "to see" list: "Australia", "Milk", and "I've Loved You So Long". Although I'm not a big Tom Cruse fan, I will probably want to see "Valkyrie", just because I'm a sucker for historical dramas. Also "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", but that's because Cate Blanchett is in it, and not because of Brad Pitt.

If you're reading, send me "get well soon" vibes!

2 comments:

  1. Get well soon!

    -Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I finally figures out how to post a comment! No interest in Australia - it looks like it would be painful to watch. Benjamin Button and Milk look good, although I'm sure I won't see see until it comes to video. I did see a movie last week - Madagascar 2!

    -Kathryn

    ReplyDelete