Sunday, December 7, 2008

Praise the Lord (and pass the Kleenex)

It's been quite the siege but I'm finally getting better. Still a little hoarse, still a little runny, but nothing compared to how I was earlier in the week. Now the opportunistic bacteria are moving in to take advantage of my weakened state. Woke up with a fulminating case of conjunctivitis this morning--thank goodness I had some left over eyedrops. Bad news is Arturo has been in bed all day--says he's "tired" but I have this sinking feeling he's getting sick, in which case the next two weeks are going to be really hard. Please make me wrong, please.

The Christmas tree went up yesterday, all 9' of it. The spire is literally about 1/4" from the top of the ceiling. It's quite grand, I have to say. I'll take photos. The house is "Christmased" too and I worked very hard to make it happen yesterday and today. The incentive was that book club is meeting here at my house tonight. We read one of my favorites, "The World According to Garp", and I can't wait to discuss it.

Last night, Arturo and I went to see "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" (1964), which was being shown for free at the Carolina Theater. I love seeing an oldie on the big screen. Every year the Carolina sponsors a day of old weepies around the holidays; they call it the annual "Holiday Bawl". I'd never seen "Umbrellas" before. It was quite a sad story, if an unoriginal sad story (boy meets girl, they fall in love, war separates them, they end up with others). Interestingly, it was like an operetta in that every line of dialogue was sung, and there were arias along the way. The music is by Michel Legrand and the big tune was "(If It Takes Forever) I Will Wait For You". What a glorious song--so melting, and so emotional. Cathering Deneuve was a little too old to be playing a 16 year old but harder to accept was that she was supposed to be playing a 16 year old who didn't think she was pretty. Holy delusion, Batman!

Laura is through with her exams and is beyond ecstatic that she NEVER has to take another chemistry class, ever. She thinks the tutoring helped a great deal and is hoping that her final exam grade is good. Me, too!

That's all for now. I have to go make hostess motions for the people who will be here in 1/2 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment