Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas at the OK Corral

Well, it's noon or so on Christmas Day. I'm at work and we had our family gift exchange last night. Lots of smiles all around--everyone was happy, everything fit, and big, huge laughs at Arturo's "Jack LaLanne Double Header". (Photo will follow when I can manage.) Adriana had a bad cough & went home relatively early. The Campas came for dessert, which was a key lime pie that Mike made, plus baklava, plus fruit & nuts, coffee & tea. Really a lovely evening.

Then,

I found out around 11AM that Arturo had gotten a phone call from the friendly folks at Croasdaile, saying that Adriana was having trouble breathing and they felt she should go over to Duke via EMS. (It's a mystery to me why they call us. They don't need our permission to get her emergency medical care. JUST TAKE HER, for Chrissakes.) Arturo of course went over and he is now saying things like, I don't know if I'll be able to go to NY with you tomorrow. So, I called Nick and told him that we were ALL leaving for NY tomorrow, and after today he would be the point person for Adriana. I'm sorry, I'm not having my vacation ruined while he sits and sips Chianti and looks at the ocean (which by the way he does 1/2 the year).

Talked with the Messina/Johnson clan this morning. They all sounded fine and were in high Christmas spirit. I can't wait to see everyone, although I must honestly say I am not looking forward to the drive. I'm sure it will be easier with Darwin along, sharing the driving. I hope Laura has adequately prepared him for the family juggernaut. My family is an awesomely wonderful group of people but, as a group, they can be daunting, to say the least.

Merry Christmas! Write me a message if you're reading!

2 comments:

  1. I'll just take this opportunity to wish you a happy new year with lots of good luck in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen! I just stumbled on your blogspot! ..love the colors and format (dots are very alluring to me...)

    Thanks a bunch for inviting Darwin along on your trip, I know that he did so enjoy his time with you and yours!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete