Sunday, October 28, 2012

Getting ready for......Halloween!

Halloween is a big event in our neighborhood.  No, I mean, REALLY BIG.  We have had over 1000 trick-or-treaters at our house in previous years.  Yes, you read that number correctly: over one thousand.  It's quite the parade of goblins, super heroes, famous personalities, princesses, axe murderers, and zombies of all sizes.  I purchase candy in bulk online and I'm not even going to write how much I spend because it's embarrassing.

There are lots of reasons our neighborhood gets so many kids.  There's a great density of houses.  There are sidewalks.  The houses fairly close to the street.  There's lots of parking on the street.  Many of us decorate and make our houses visible and welcoming.  And of course, the folks here generally have enough money to give out candy to all the visitors.  We're not talking full-size Snickers bars or anything extravagant, but it's not single sticks of gum, either.

My husband and I sit on the front porch from about 5-9 PM.  I have a crock pot of soup or stew for us to nosh on as needed.  We open a bottle of port to keep spirits high.  We invite neighbors & friends to hang out with us--the price of admission being a bag of candy.  It's just a great time, unique in my experience.  A huge percentage of the kids who come by are not from around here---I've seen buses pull up and discharge dozens of little ones, mostly black or hispanic.  This drives many of the folks around here crazy; they moan and complain about how they end up providing candy for what seems like the entire city of Durham.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  It's one night a year, and if these kids don't have a safe/convenient/prosperous place to trick-or-treat, I welcome them here.

Besides, I've gotten some great photos over the years!  Let me share a few with you.





This container is about 8" deep.

My daughter in her Lady Gaga Getup:


Betty and Don Draper came by, too:

Like I said, it's a great, fun night!  Wish YOU were here to share it with us!

Let me know about Halloween in your part of the country.......however you celebrate, hope it's fun, safe, and good weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment