Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Post-concert nightmare?

So, my concert, "The Songs of Fashion", was on Sunday night.  I think it went fairly well--still have to listen to the recording--but there were 9 people there.  Honestly, I don't know why I die the thousand deaths I die making everything happen for every concert, and then I get a turnout in the single digits.  Between me, Holly (the venue owner), and Preservation Durham (the nonprofit), I'm sure we notified 1000+ people of the event.  I know the return on invitations is traditionally low, but 1% seems ridiculous.  I have to say I was pretty bummed, despite my determination (see previous post) to not let it bother me.  Came home, dropped everything on the kitchen table, took an Ambien, put on my pjs, and went to sleep.  Didn't take off my makeup or brush my hair.  Then the next day I had a complete meltdown at work when I read my sweet husband's note on Facebook, which read:

My wife, Ellen, sang her heart out last night in a Cabaret concert supporting Preservation Durham--a cause that is self-explanatory. Songs all about fashion--plus a heart-melting encore--Jerome Kern/Dorothy Fields "The Way You Look Tonight." Thanks, dear one!


Well.

He's definitely a keeper.

Anyway, then I toiled all day at work, came home, couldn't sleep, finally fell into a fitful doze, and had THIS wicked nightmare: I was taking a house tour which, somehow, was being conducted by a man with a horse.  The abode we were wandering through was a mansion, with multiple rooms, all decorated in a very stark, modern fashion.  I was afraid of the horse at first but it was very friendly and the tour guide kept giving me treats like apples to feed the horse.  We got to the bedroom and I said I was really tired, so the man, the horse, and I all got into this ENORMOUS bed, so big that nobody was touching each other, and took a nap.  I got up to go to the bathroom and when I looked in the mirror, my head had changed into half me and half horse........then I woke up, screaming. 

Any amateur Freuds out there who would like to analyze that charmer?

Wicked headache today since my sleep was so interrupted.  I may go take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment